LED Technology over the past 5 years has grown to the point where it is now the standard amongst the large majority of commercial, industrial and residential lighting solutions.
It is now common to see LED technology in all forms of lighting, from the standard LED recessed downlight in your home, all the way to street lighting and carpark flood lighting.
At Terrasol we use LED Lighting exclusively in all the lighting works we carry out, from LED Panel lights in offices, LED Flood lights in commercial spaces, LED Highbay lights in industrial workshops through to LED Downlights in houses.
So what is LED technology and why is it so good?
LED lights are the latest technology in energy efficient lighting. LED stands for ‘Light Emitting Diode’, a semiconductor device that converts electricity into light.
LED lights are super energy efficient, using approximately 85% less energy than halogen or incandescent lighting – meaning significant savings on your power bills. LED lights also have a much longer lifespan than other types of lighting – see the table below:
With so many options in the market, it can be hard to choose the right LED for your application.
Please see below for some of the things to look for:
- Wattage (how powerful the LED is)
- Colour temperature (measured in “K”, the higher the number the cooler the light)
- Dimmable – Most LED lights are now dimmable, but it is best to check
- Beam angle – This is the angle of the light – a narrow beam will give a more concentrated ‘spot’, whilst a wide beam will be more general
- Lumens – This is how much light is produced, usually measured in ‘lumens per watt’. EG – a 10watt light might say ‘90lms per watt’ which would mean it will produce 900lumens.
The warranty on most good quality LED lights is 5 years, however should last much longer. LED Lighting is an investment, you will save significant amount of money and will be reducing your carbon footprint in doing so.
Don’t cheap out on using lights of Ebay and other online forums, use good quality LED Luminaires from reputable suppliers, and you will have a return on your investment in no time.
Want to know more? Give us a call and we will be more than happy to help. All of our technicians are qualified lighting experts, and are certified lighting designers.